Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS)
On the Eve of the International Day of Refugees (20/06/2013).
On the eve of the International Day of Refugees, the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) released a statistical review on the current status of Palestinian Refugees. The main findings are summarized as follows:
- According to UNRWA records, the Palestinian registered refugees are totaled to
5.3 million at 1/1/2013, of whom 40% in Jordan, 24% in Gaza Strip, 17% in the West Bank, 10% in Syria and 9% in Lebanon.
- The Data 2012 showed that the percentage of Palestinian refugees in Palestine was 42.1% of the total population, about 27% of the total population of West Bank were refugees, compared to about 67% in Gaza Strip.
- The Refugees in Palestine are characterized as young population, 41% of them are under the age of 15 years compared to 39.7% for non-refugees. On the other hand, 4.2 % of refugees aged 60 years and over, compared to 4.6% for the non- refugees in Palestine for the year of 2012.
- Total fertility rate for refugees in Palestine was 4.4 births per woman in the period (2008-2009).
- Percentage of poor households in refugee camps in Palestine is 31.2% in 2011.
- Unemployment rate of Palestinian refugees among those of 15 years and over in Palestine in 2012 was 27.9% compared to 19.8% for non refugees.
- Illiteracy rate among Palestinian refugees of 15 years and over in Palestine in 2012 was 3.7%, compared to 4.3% for non - refugees.
- Percentage of refugee households that own their housing units in Palestine in 2010 was 86%.
- Percentage of refugee households that own private cars in Palestine in 2010 was 15.9% compared to 25.6% for non - refugees.