د. محمد نصر
Dr. Mohamed M. Nasr
Mobile Number: +970 (or else +972) 0599 836 111
· Ph.D. (Economics), Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A., 1986
· M.A. (Economics), Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A., 1985
· M.B.A. (Marketing), Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A., 1980
· B. Comm., Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon, 1969
MAJOR FIELDS OF STUDY:
Economics: Industrial Organization; Money, Banking, and Monetary Theory; Economic Development and Development Planning.
Business Administration: Marketing
Dean, Faculty of Business and Economics (Formerly Faculty of Commerce and Economics), Birzeit University, West Bank.
Associate Professor, Economics Dept. Birzeit University, West Bank.
Director, Master of Business Administration Program, Graduate School, Birzeit University, West Bank.
Dean, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Birzeit University, West Bank.
Assistant Dean, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Birzeit University, West Bank.
Associate professor, Economics Dept., Applied Science University, Amman, Jordan. (on Sabbatical leave).
Chairman, Economics Dept., Yarmouk University.
Assistant Professor, Economics Dept., Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan. (Promoted to Associate Professor on May 22, 1993).
Lecturer at the Center for Consultations and Studies, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan.
Part-time Lecturer, Central Bank of Jordan, Irbid, Jordan.
Graduate Teaching Associate, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
· Director General, the Palestine Economic Policy Research Institute (MAS). Sep, 2007 – August 2008.
· Economist/Advisor, Center for Continuing Education, Drivers of Change Study, DFID Project, September 1-October 31, 2006.
· Local Project Advisor for the Re-engineering of the Ministry of National Economy Program under Promoting Industrial Zones and Investment Mobilization (PRIZIM), a USAID Project, Ramallah October 2003 – August 2004.
· Economic consultant to the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation in Palestine (Part time), 1995 - 1999
· Member of a team working on the Competitive Advantage of the Middle East, headed by Professor Michael Porter of Harvard Business School, 1997
· Trainer on feasibility studies and project evaluation at the Center for Consultation, Technical Services and Studies (University of Jordan), Amman, Jordan, 1992-1993.
· Referee for various academic and professional journals in Jordan and Palestine.
· Sales Representative, C. Itoh & Co., (Japan), Kuwait Liaison Office, 1972 – 1978
· Assistant Manager, Jahra Supplies and Provisions Co., Ltd., Kuwait, 1964 – 1972
· Palestinian Investment Fund (PIF), Member of the Board of Directors and member of the General Assembly, January 2012 – Now.
· Coalition for Accountability and Integrity – AMAN, Member of the General Assembly, 2012 - Now
· Palestine Institute of Governance (Chairman of the Board of Directors), April 2011 – Now.
· Advisory Committee for Economic Statistics, Palestine Central Bureau of Statistics, Palestine, September 2012 - Now.
· Public Policy Research Group – Muwatin, 2009 – 2011.
· National Committee for Combating Money Laundry, June 2008 - Now
· The Central Election Committee, February 2008 - 2011
· The National Committee for Governance, October 2007 - Now.
· Advisory Council for Official Statistics, Palestine Central Bureau of Statistics, Palestine, September 2007 - 2008.
· Special Advisory Committee, Loan Guarantee Program, a partnership between the PIF, OPIC and the Aspen Institute, July 2007 - Now.
· Advisory Committee, Palestinian Capital Market Bulletin, Palestinian Securities Exchange, Ramallah, May 2007 – 2009.
· Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors, The Arab Palestinian Shopping Centers Co. Ltd. (PLAZA), Ramallah, 2000 – 2002
· Board of Trustees, Center for Palestinian Research and Studies (CPRS), Nablus, 2000 - 2001
· Board of Trustees, Al-Intifada Emergency Fund for Birzeit University Employees and Students, Birzeit, 2000
· Interview Committee for Clinton Scholarship Program, nominated by Ministry of Higher Education in coordination with USAID, July 2000.
· Administration Committee, part of the Steering Committee responsible for drawing a strategy for higher education in Palestine, Ministry of Higher Education, Ramallah, Palestine, June 2000
· Arab Economic Association, Palestine, 1994 - Now
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS:
· “5th Economic Freedom in the Arab World Conference”, Cairo, Egypt, organized by the Fraser Institute (FI), the International Research Foundation (IRF), the Friedrich Neumann Foundation for Liberty (FNF) in cooperation with the Egyptian Junior Business Association (EJB) , 1-2 November, 2010.
· "Financial and Economic Crisis: Impact and Response in the Middle East Region", Beirut, Lebanon, Carnegie Middle East Center - Lebanon, 14-15 May, 2009.
· Elections Study Visit to Northern Ireland, invited by Northern Ireland Public Sector Enterprises Limited (NI-CO), sponsored by International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES), Belfast, Northern Ireland, 3 – 8 May, 2009.
· Roundtable on MENA Region SME Observatory and Entrepreneurship Monitor, Hosted by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Cairo, 13-14 October, 2008
· Workshop on "Economic Development Strategy for Senior Officials”, Seoul, Korea, 28 June – 4 July, 2008.
· MAS Annual Conference, "40 Years of Occupation… 40 Years of Arrested Development", Conference organized by MAS, Ramallah, 4–5 December, 2007
· " MENA Regional Workshop on MSMEs and PSD Development", Panelist, Organized by IDRC, Cairo, 20–21 November, 2007
· The First Annual Forum of Capital Market, Chairman of a session, organized by Palestine Stock Exchange, Ramallah, 8–9 September, 2007
· The Challenges and Prospects of the Palestinian Investment Fund (PIF), a speaker, Workshop organized by the Private Sector Development Center, Ramallah, 17 July, 2007.
· "The Economy and Economics of Palestine: Past, Present and Future", University of London, , School of Oriental and African Studies, London, 27-28 January 2007.
· "The Palestinian War-Torn Economy: Aid, Development and State Formation", Chair, Workshop organized by UNCTAD and MAS, 17 May, 2006
· The Mediterranean Development Forum (MDF5), sponsored by the World Bank, Beirut, Lebanon, 7-9 April, 2006.
· "Palestinian State-Formation: Prospects and Challenges", Symposium organized by the CMI (Norway) and Muwatin (Palestine), Bergen, Norway, 24-25 May 2004
· “Building the IPA’s marketing and communications strategy”, Seminar conducted and sponsored by Euro Mediterranean Network of Investment Promotion Agencies (ANIMA), Ramallah 25-29 January 2004. (main speaker)
· “Enhancing Local Capacity of the Palestinian Economy”, Conference organized by MAS, Ramallah 10-11 June 2003.
· Project Progress Review and Planning Workshop, conducted and sponsored by GTZ of Germany for Technical Assistance Projects at Ministry of National Economy & Customs Administration, Ramallah 26-27 May 2003.
· The Mediterranean Development Forum (MDF4), sponsored by the World Bank, Amman, Jordan, 6-9 October, 2002.
· Workshop on “Rent Seeking and the foundations of a Palestinian State”, Bergen, Norway, 15 – 17 October 2001.
· Workshop on “A Vision of the Palestinian State”, organized by the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation (MOPIC), 15 February 2001.
· Coordination Meeting regarding “Al-Aqsa Intifada Fund” and Expert Group Meeting on Emergency Assistance for Students of Palestinian Universities, organized by Islamic Development Bank, The Arab League Headquarter, Cairo, 28-29 January, 2001.
· Seminar on “The Palestinian Economy: Current Situation and Sustainability”, organized by the Palestinian Institute for the Study of Democracy” (MUWATIN), Ramallah 7 November, 2000 (main speaker)
· “Palestine 2010: The Future and Prospects of the Palestinian Economy”, sponsored by MAS and UNCTAD, 10 July, 2000
· The Mediterranean Development Forum (MDF3), sponsored by the World Bank, Cairo, Egypt, 5-8 March, 2000
· “Conference on Features of the Palestinian Monetary System”, sponsored by the Palestinian Monetary Authority, Cairo, 13-14 November, 1999.
· “Announcement of the Human Development Report in Palestine”, a seminar held by the Development Studies Program, Birzeit University, 21 September 1999, (Moderator).
· Palestinian Experts Conference on the Issues of Permanent Status, organized by the Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy (MIFTAH), Ramallah 17-18 September 1999.
· “Evaluation Study of the Netherlands Government Aid to the Palestinian Authority”, A seminar held under the auspices of the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation (MOPIC) at Grand Park, Ramallah, 21st June, 1999 (Moderator).
· “Employment in the institutions of the Palestinian National Authority”, a seminar organized by the Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy (MIFTAH), Ramallah 17th April, 1999
· “Country-focused training course in development policies” organized by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) under the International Cooperation Program of the government of Japan, held in Tokyo, 15-23 March, 1999.
· “The Role of the Banking and Financial Sector in Reconstruction and Development: The First Palestinian Banking Conference”, sponsored by the Palestinian Monetary Authority, Gaza, 2-3 December, 1998 (member of the steering committee).
· “Towards Employment Strategy”, an International Conference on Employment sponsored by Ministry of Labor, Ramallah, Palestine, 11-13 May, 1998.
· “The Rise of Industrial East Asia and Its Implications for the Developing World”, Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg, Austria, April 24 - May 1, 1998.
· “The New Strategic Directions for Arab Business Education Conference”, sponsored by the Arab Administrative Development Organization (of the Arab League), Cairo, 23-26 November, 1997.
· Conference on Industrial Strategies and Policies, sponsored by the Ministry of Industry and UNDP, Ramallah, 29-30 October, 1997.
· Study Day on Textile and Garment Industry in Palestine, sponsored by DRC and Paltrade, July 7, 1997 (moderator).
· ESCWA, Expert Group Meeting on the Impact of the Peace Process on Selected Industries, Amman, 23-25 June, 1997.
· Workshop on Trade and Investment Promotion in the Information Age, Mediterranean Development Forum (MDF), Marrakech, Morocco 15-16 May, 1997.
· International Conference on Affordable Housing in Palestine, Ministry of Housing and Birzeit University, 1-3 November, 1996.
· The Conference on Investment and International Commercial Contracts, Chair of the Session on Investment Laws, Birzeit University, Birzeit 14-15 June, 1996
· “Authority’s Administration of the Palestinian Economy: A Preliminary Evaluation”, Center for Palestine Research and Studies (CPRS), Nablus 13-14 December 1995.
· The International Palestinian Studies Conference, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung and Birzeit University, Birzeit 3 - 5 November, 1995
· The Contribution of Turkey for the Construction and Development of Palestine, Friedrich Naumann Foundation and Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey, 1-3 December, 1994.
· The Economics of Peace in the Middle East, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, 13-15 December, 1993
· The Jordanian Industrial Sector, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, 9-11 May, 1993
· The Role of Agriculture in Economic development in Jordan: Yarmouk University, 21-23 April, 1992 (Chairman)
· Investment on Small-scale Industrial Projects, Industrial Development Bank and Jordanian Engineers Union, Amman, Jordan, 3-5 August 1991.
· Economic and Development in Egypt and Arab Countries; Al-Mansoura University, Egypt 21-23 March, 1989
· The Industrialization of Jordan: Achievements and Obstacles; The Royal Scientific Society and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung; Amman, Jordan 2-3 July, 1988
· Unemployment and Allocation of Resources: A Micro Approach, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, 5-6 December, 1988
· North Governorates Development Councils Conference: The Industrial Sector ( As representative of Yarmouk University ); Ministry of Planning, Jordan 10-20 Nov., 1988
PAPERS AND BOOKS:
· Challenges to Reforms and Economic Freedom in the Palestinian Territories, a paper presented at the “5th Economic Freedom of The Arab World Conference”, Cairo, Egypt, 1 - 2 November, 2010
· The Impact of the Global Financial and Economic Crisis on the Palestinian Economy, a paper presented at "Financial and Economic Crisis: Impact and Response in the Middle East Region Conference”, Carnegie Middle East Center, Beirut, Lebanon, May 15, 2009.
· Impact of New Regulation on Money Changers' Operations in WBG, Sponsored by Modernizing Financial Institutions (MFI), 2009.
· Impact of the Draft Company Law on the Performance of the Private Sector in Palestine, (co-authored with Mohamed Khalifeh and Obeida Salah), MAS, Ramallah, 2008.
· Measuring Social Capital in the Palestinian Territories (co-authored with Jamil Hilal), MAS, Ramallah, 2008.
· Public Administration and Civil Service Reform in Palestine: Drivers of Change (co-author), The Ibrahim Abu-Loghod Institute of International Studies, in association with The Centre for Continuing Education (Birzeit University), May 2007
· Competitiveness in the Globalization Era, The Palestinian Executive Magazine, Palestinian Business Association, Ramallah, Issue 17, February 2007.
· Private sector assessment of PNA economic policy, a paper presented at "The Economy and Economics of Palestine: Past, Present and Future", University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies, London, 27-28 January 2007.
· Privatization Policy in the PNA, a paper presented at the Mediterranean Development Forum (MDF5), sponsored by the World Bank, Beirut, Lebanon, April, 2006.
· The Food Industries in Palestine, a study prepared for the Industrial Modernization Center (IMC) and Food Industries Association, 2005.
· Monopolies and the PNA, a chapter in M. Khan, G. Giacaman and I. Amundsen. (eds.) “State Formation in Palestine, Viability and Governance during a Social Transformation”, RoutledgeCurzon, London, 2004.
· Enhancing Local Capacity of the Palestinian Economy, MAS, Ramallah, 2003.
· The Role of Industrial Sector in Palestinian Economic Development, MAS, Ramallah, 2002
· Facing the Current Economic Crisis from Private Sector’s Point of View, a paper sponsored by Paltrade, Ramallah, October 2002
· Financial Analysis of the Palestinian Memorial Museum, Welfare Association, Ramallah, 2000
· Promoting Economic Development in Jerusalem, Paltrade, Ramallah, Palestine, April 2000
· The Competitiveness of Palestinian Tourism, a paper presented at the Mediterranean Development Forum (MDF3), sponsored by the World Bank, Cairo, March 2000
· The Economic Preconditions for Issuing a Palestinian Currency, a paper submitted to the “Conference on Features of the Palestinian Monetary System”, Cairo, November 1999.
· The Economy of the Old City of Jerusalem, Center for Development Consultancy, Welfare Association, January 1999.
· Prospects and Requirements of Economic Planning in Palestine, published in “Economic Planning in Palestine” (editor: Nader Izzat Said), Planning for Development Series No. 1, Development Studies Program, Birzeit University, September 1998.
· The Impact of the Peace Process on the Textile and Garment Industry in Palestine, MAS, Ramallah, November 1997.
· Opportunities and potentials for Palestinian Industrialization, MAS, Ramallah, September 1997.
· The Industrial Survey-1994: Main Results, Report No. 1, First Reading in PCBS Statistical Reports Series, MAS, Ramallah, April 1997.
· Food Gap and Security in the Arab World, (co-authored with Dr. Khalil Hammad), Al-Mustaqbal Al-Arabi, No. 211, Center for Arab Unity Studies, Beirut, September 1996, pp. 94-104
· The Role of Small-Scale Industries in the Economic Development in Palestine, A paper submitted to the International Palestinian Studies Conference, Birzeit, Palestine, 3 - 5 November, 1995
· The Industrial Sector: A Comparative Study of Jordan, Palestine and Israel, Abhath Al-Yarmouk Journal, vol. 11, No. 3, 1995, pp.171-211.
· Small Scale Industry and Commerce, A paper submitted to the Conference on "The Contribution of Turkey for the Construction and Development of Palestine", Friedrich Naumann Foundation and Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey, 1-3 December, 1994
· The Relationship between Profitability and Structural Indicators: The case of Industrial Firms in Amman Stock Market, ( Co-authored with Dr. S. Khateib), A paper submitted to the Third Economic Conference on the Industrial Sector, Yarmouk University, 9-11 May, 1994.
· The Effect of Exchange Firms Closure on Financial Institutions in Jordan (co-authored with Dr. S. Khateib), Abhath al-Yarmouk Journal, Vol. 10, No. 3, 1994, pp. 345-369.
· Vertical Integration in Jordanian Industries, Derasat Journal, University of Jordan, Vol. 20, No. 3, 1993, pp. 68-100.
· Price Discrimination in the Electricity Sector in Jordan, Mu'tah Journal for Studies and Research, vol. 7, No. 4, 1992, pp. 235-263.
· The Economic Crime, Article, Yarmouk Journal, Yarmouk University, No. 35, 1992
· Principle of Economics 1: A text book in Arabic (co-authored with Fathi Srouji), Al-Quds Open University, 1992.
· Some Possible Economic Effects of Peace, Article, Yarmouk Journal, Yarmouk University, No. 34, 1991
· Productivity of the Chemical Industrial Sector in Jordan (Co-authored with Dr. Mohamed Odeinat and Dr. Zein Tahboub), Higher Council for Science and Technology, Amman, Jordan 1991
· The Potential and Strategies for Demand-Side Management within the Industrial Sector in Jordan (Co-authored with Dr. Rabadi and Dr. Hijazi), Energy Conversion and Management Journal, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1991, pp. 585-593
· Concentration in the Jordanian Industries; Abhath al-Yarmouk Journal, Vol. 6, No. 4, 1990, pp. 73-96.
· Manufacturing Growth and Employment in Jordan (co-authored with Dr. Khalil Hammad), Abhath al-Yarmouk Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1990, pp. 103-136.
· Principles of Microeconomics; A text book in Arabic (co-authored with Dr. Abdullah Shamia), Dar Al-Amal Publishing Co., Irbid 1989 (first edition) and Dar Al-Fikr, Amman 2002 (second edition).